What Kind of Insurance Coverage Do Landlords Need?

December 4, 2023 0 comment

Being a landlord comes with many responsibilities, including the essential task of ensuring that your investment property is adequately insured. Landlord insurance differs from standard homeowner’s insurance, providing specialized coverage tailored to the risks associated with renting out a property. Here’s a detailed look at the types of insurance coverage landlords should consider:

1. Landlord Property Insurance

This is the most basic insurance every landlord should have. It covers:
Dwelling Coverage: Protects against damages to the physical structure of the property due to events like fire, wind, or vandalism.
Personal Property: Covers items that belong to the landlord, such as appliances, furniture, or equipment in common areas for multi-unit buildings.

2. Landlord Liability Insurance

Should a tenant or visitor be injured on the property due to negligence on your part, this coverage protects you from potential legal and medical costs. Examples include injuries from trips and falls or damages resulting from faulty maintenance.

3. Loss of Income or Rent Guarantee Insurance

If a covered peril (e.g., a fire) renders your property uninhabitable, this insurance compensates you for the rental income you’d lose while repairs are being made.

4. Flood Insurance

Standard landlord insurance does not cover damages resulting from floods. If your property is in a flood zone or area prone to flooding, you’ll need separate flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program or a private insurer.

5. Earthquake Insurance

Just like flood coverage, earthquake damage is not typically covered under standard policies. Depending on the region, landlords might consider this specialized insurance to protect their investments.

6. Vandalism and Burglary Coverage

Some landlord policies might not automatically cover damages or losses from vandalism or burglary. This add-on ensures you’re protected against these specific risks.

7. Building Code or Ordinance Coverage

If part of your property is damaged and requires repairs, local building codes might have changed since the property was originally built. This coverage pays for the increased cost of ensuring that repairs or rebuilds are compliant with current building codes.

8. Umbrella Liability Insurance

For added protection beyond the limits of your standard liability insurance, an umbrella policy provides extra coverage. It’s particularly useful for landlords with multiple properties or higher-value assets that could be targeted in a lawsuit.

9. Workers’ Compensation Insurance

If you employ maintenance staff, gardeners, or other workers, you might need workers’ compensation insurance to cover potential injuries they could suffer while working on your property.


Choosing the right insurance coverage helps safeguard your investment and peace of mind. It’s advisable to consult with an insurance professional familiar with rental properties in your area to tailor coverage to your specific needs and risks.

Seeking Comprehensive Property Management Solutions in Seattle? Protecting your investment goes beyond just insurance. At DavisPropertyManagement.com, we offer holistic property management solutions, ensuring your rental properties operate smoothly and remain profitable. With years of expertise in Seattle’s dynamic rental market, you can trust us to deliver unparalleled service. Get in touch today!

Davis Property Management

At Davis Property Management, we provide fast, friendly, and professional service tailored to your individual property management needs.